Friday, September 19, 2008

Happy Birthday Jonelle!!!

Today is my sisters 26th Birthday. I really have no memories of life without her. We always played together as children. We fought over clothes as teenagers and now we give each other comfort and advice. Sometimes I feel she should have been the older sister. We were married exactly two weeks apart and our firstborns are only 3 months apart. We have been through many ups and downs together. I am so glad Heavenly Father gave me such a sweet, kind, and beautiful sister. I love you Jonelle. Happy Birthday!!!




























HURRICANE IKE

Early last Saturday morning Hurricane Ike hit Galveston, Houston, and Beaumont Texas very hard. The storm surge was big causing some great damage to these cities. There is a lot of clean up to be done so the church has asked for volunteers here in San Antonio to go down to Houston to help clean up. Jeff and his two brothers (Brian and Mark) who are visiting us will be going to Houston early tomorrow to help out. The women in my ward have been asked to make treats that the volunteers can pass out to the people in Houston. I am grateful that the church is so organized when it comes to disaster relief.

Jeff's Aunt and Uncle who live in North West Houston (near the temple) sent us these pictures of what happened to the homes around their neighborhood. They told us the electricity went on and off all through Friday night and Saturday morning. They survived the storm and were one of the lucky few homes that still had electricity. Church was cancelled for them Sunday, so they helped prepare meals for people in their ward who did not have electricity. Thankfully they had minimal damage to their home.


My best friend Janae' happened to be visiting Vidor Texas (near Beaumont) for her grandfather's funeral when the storm hit. All of her family members are fine and she made it back home to AZ on Wednesday. She told me she saw cars flipped over, homes completely split in half by fallen trees, flooding, and even more things she could not even describe. Please keep the victims of Hurricane Ike in your thoughts and prayers.


























































This is Uncle Larry and Aunt Sue's backyard. Luckily they were able to board up a few of their windows.

4 comments:

Nik said...

Mike was asked to go too, but couldn't and he feels pretty badly about it. But I know many are going in his stead like your husband and bros-in-law.

heidi said...

it's always so crazy what those hurricanes can do. i'm so sorry for all those people, that's great of you guys to help out so much

Raina said...

I was wondering how you guys were doing with the hurricane. It is definately the last days! Lots of crazy disasters. We will keep everyone in our prayers.

Nik said...

Hey Angela! It's me again! Will you send me an e-mail so I can send you an invite to our blog? I need your e-mail address to send the invite. Mine is:

kikki_poo@yahoo.com

Thanks!