Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Mother's Funeral

So much has happened in the month of December I don't even know where to start. I have wanted to blog about all these events for the past month but just have not had time. I am dedicating today to my blog.

My mother passed away December 12th, and we had her funeral December 19th. It was a beautiful funeral and everything went smoothly.

My moms two older sisters, brother-in-law and nephew from Finland were able to come to the funeral. One of my aunts from Finland has three married children who live here in the states, they were able to make it to the funeral. Three wonderful families in my parents ward offered to house my Finnish relatives while they were here AZ. It was so neat to spend time with my relatives that I have only seen a handful of times. The last time I had been out to Finland was 1993.

I wanted to share a story about how my Aunt Merjia decided to come out AZ. The relief society president (Becky) in my parents ward (her parents) are the temple mission presidents for the Helsinki, Finland mission. Becky's parents met my mother before they went out to Finland. My mom told her parents to keep and eye out for her two sisters. On December 11th my aunt Merjia went to the temple to do a session and ran into Becky's parents. After the session Merjia went up to Becky's parents and told them she had a strong impression she needed to come out to AZ but her only concern was she was not sure where she could stay because she knew my mom had all her children staying at her house. Becky's parents proceeded to tell her that their daughter (Becky) had two guests rooms and would not mind at all having her and her family stay. I am so grateful to the ward members who graciously offered their homes to my family.

My Father did a beautiful job planning out the program. The two missionaries that converted my mom in Finland came to the funeral and spoke about her conversion story. My moms two sisters shared childhood stories about my mom, and my siblings and I shared one funny memory each that we had of my mother. A lady in my moms ward sang a beautiful solo and O Holy Night was sung by my dad and small group of men with three violinists. I was surprised at how well I held it together at the funeral.

After the funeral we all left the church and headed to the cemetery. Jeff picked out my moms casket. I think he did a great job. Jeff felt like this is something you would see in the temple.

Jeff is the only one missing in this picture. I think he is the one taking the picture. In this picture is my brother Brian, my brother-in-law Jay, my sister Jonelle, my father, my sister Melissa's boyfriend Frank, my sister Melissa, and I.


My mother loved red roses so we had each person at the funeral throw a red rose onto the casket.

The women in my parents ward put together these beautiful entry tables as you walked into the chapel.



The women in my parents ward also put together the lunch- in. These are what the tables looked like at the lunch- in. They did a beautiful job and the food tasted great. I am so grateful that these women were so willing to serve my family. The picture on the table is my moms graduation picture from high school. I think she is so pretty in this picture.

My mother-in-law has put together memory tables for funerals. Her and I worked together to set up this special room. We put the memory room by the viewing room. This gave people a chance to find out some things about my mom they may have not known.







This picture I had to take of Brayden helping to take out the trash after the lunch in. I love to see my boys working.


After the lunch in we decided to take my relatives to see the temple lights at the Mesa Temple. We thought this would be something my mom would have loved to do with us.
I had to take a picture here with Jeff. The Mesa temple will always have a special place in my heart since this is where Jeff and I were married almost six years ago. Can you see Brayden hiding behind my legs?

No comments: